1. Mix all dough ingredients (except confectioners’ sugar) together in the mixer to form a soft, smooth dough.
2. Form into a ball. Place in a plastic bag and refrigerate for one hour or longer.
3. If using filling number two, combine all ingredients except for raspberry jam in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
5. Divide dough into three equal parts (using a scale is helpful). Roll each part into a rectangle.
6. For filling number two, smear generously with raspberry jam (I prefer this to other flavors) and sprinkle with one-third of the sugar-cocoa mixture. For filling number one, warm the date spread slightly for ease of smearing and carefully spread over the dough, then sprinkle with chopped nuts.
7. Roll up the dough into a thin roulade. With a sharp knife, cut slits through the surface of the loaf, letting the filling peek through, but not all the way through. Repeat with remaining parts of dough.
8. Bake for half an hour or until golden brown.
9. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar while still warm and cut into slices before storing.