1. For the onions: Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until browned. Add turmeric and saffron, and stir. Set aside.
2. For candied orange peels and carrots: Peel oranges, as if peeling an apple, but just remove the thin orange peel, not the white bitter pith. Slice peels very thinly. In a saucepan, place orange peels, shredded carrots, sugar and two cups water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain liquid from orange peels and carrots and allow them to cool and dry.
3. For the lentils: Heat lentils with one and a half cups water over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until tender, about seven to 12 minutes. Drain and cool.
4. For the couscous: Heat a six-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add canola oil, two and one-fourth cups water, and salt. When water comes to a boil, add couscous, stir, cover and simmer for eight to 10 minutes. Remove lid, stir, and let cool slightly.
5. To serve: Toss couscous with onions and any accompanying oil, candied carrots and oranges, lentils, pistachios, cranberries, and parsley. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.