1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
2. Slice the onion and add to the pan. Lower heat to medium-low and caramelize the onions (this step can be done well in advance and refrigerated or frozen). Once a deep caramel color is reached, add the garlic and mix until fragrant.
3. Raise the temperature to medium-high. Push the onions to the side of the pan, add the pargiyot. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika and sear 5 minutes. Next, flip the chicken over and repeat – season the second side and sear another 5 minutes.
4. Add the bourbon and maple syrup. Deglaze the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, on medium-low for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook 5 more minutes.
5. Delicious on its own, served over rice, or with stir-fry vegetables.