1. Heat a heavy-bottomed (three-to-four-quart) skillet over medium heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with three tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Pat the chicken dry, and place in a single layer in the pan. Cook each side for three minutes, then remove the chicken to another dish, and keep warm and covered. Deglaze the skillet with the red wine, scraping up any browned bits, then pour it over the chicken.
3. To the same skillet, add three tablespoons of olive oil to coat the bottom. Place the onions in the pan and sauté for two to three minutes until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the tomato paste to the pan and stir, cooking the tomato paste for a minute or two. Add the fennel, and stir to coat, cooking for another minute or two, Add the capers and sliced lemons, stirring gently to combine. Pour the jar of sauce into the skillet and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and place the chicken pieces in a single layer on top of the sauce. Spoon some sauce on top of the pieces of chicken, then cover, and continue to cook for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Drain well.
5. Plate some pasta, and place a piece of chicken on it, spooning the sauce and vegetables on top. Garnish with thinly sliced basil if desired.