1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat one tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
2. Coat roast with baharat, reserving a bit of spice to add to the sauce later.
3. Sear roast for six minutes per side and set aside in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
4. Add the rest of the oil and sauté onions for 15 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and dates and sauté for two minutes. Season with salt. Add tomato paste and cook for five minutes, until tomato paste becomes golden.
5. Deglaze the pan with wine and cook for three minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan until it is clear of any browned bits. Add silan, stock or water, thyme, and bay leaf.
6. Pour sauce over roast. Cover tightly with foil and braise for three hours.
7. Allow roast to fully cool before slicing. Slice roast, reheat and serve topped with pepitas and fresh parsley.