Tamarind paste is available in national markets and on Amazon with a hechsher. It’s a powerful flavor enhancer and also a tenderizer for meats and stews. It adds richness, tanginess and even a bit of sweetness.
Prepare the Tamarind Chicken
1. In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper, paprika, minced garlic, ginger, and cumin. Add olive oil and blend to make a paste.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Place chicken in two large roasting pans. Rub paste all over chicken, coating both over and under the skin.
4. In a separate bowl, mix tamarind paste, cranberry juice, orange juice and honey. Pour mixture over chicken. Scatter lemons and whole garlic around chicken.
5. Cover chicken and cook for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook for 20 more minutes until lightly browned and caramelized. Serve warm with juices.