“Tzimmes” Stuffed Capons with Apple and Honey Crumbs
Parve 6 Servings
- Gluten Free
Tzimmes is that mandatory Rosh Hashanah dish that no one seems to eat anymore. The cloyingly sweet carrot coins inevitably get left on everyone’s plate, so I’ve updated it with a healthier and tastier approach. Use it as a stuffing in these apple and honey capons, or serve it as a mash alongside your Yom Tov roast.
Check out our complete collection of Rosh Hashanah recipes for mains, sides, soups, desserts, and more inspiration for the holiday.
For more delicious main dishes perfect for your Rosh Hashanah menu, see our recipe roundup.
Prepare the Tzimmes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Line a baking sheet with Gefen Parchment Paper; coat with cooking spray.
2. Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place on the baking sheet, cut side down; bake until roasted and caramelized, about one hour (peel should be browned in spots). Scoop the flesh from the squash into a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and add the carrots. Sauté until softened. Add the sugar and sauté for two more minutes. Add the roasted butternut squash, honey, orange zest, and juice and mix well. Remove from heat. Season with salt to taste.
2. Set up a dredging station: Place the beaten eggs in a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix the cornflake and apple chip crumbs and place in another shallow bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Lay the capons skin side down and fill with a heaping spoonful of butternut tzimmes. Roll the capons around the filling and secure with toothpicks. Dip capons into the beaten egg mixture, shake off the excess, and dip into crumbs. Place in a greased baking dish (divide into two pans, if needed, so as not to overcrowd the pan). If there is any extra tzimmes, place it in the pan alongside the capons.
4. Cover with foil and bake for one hour. Uncover and drizzle with honey. Raise oven heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
To make apple chip crumbs, blend apple chips in a food processor until crumbs form.
You can also use boneless chicken breast for this recipe, adjust cook time accordingly.
How many mins for chicken breasts How many mins do u put on for chicken breaste thank you.
Around 350 for 30 minutes but it all depends on the size and thickness of your chicken.