1. Preheat skillet, then add beef on low flame for 25 minutes, mixing occasionally to break beef into small pieces. Turn up heat to high and add carrots. Cook for five minutes. Then add celery, onion, shallots, and pepper. Add wine and three dashes of salt and pepper and allow to cook for a few more minutes.
2. Cook potatoes whole with skin on. Do not overcook. Peel and mash potatoes, add chicken shmaltz, salt, and pepper to taste and grate in fresh horseradish.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Transfer beef mixture into a 9×13-inch pan. Top with sliced tomatoes and then spread mashed potatoes evenly on top. Make grooves in potatoes with fork for extra crispiness.
5. Bake for 20 minutes and broil for another five minutes.