Looking for a fun, easy food-related activity? Try these homemade potato chips made in the microwave!! Yes, it really works! The potatoes need a little prep work that’s perfect for kids to keep busy with. Experiment with different seasonings, potatoes, and oils! It’s a delicious homemade snack and so much fun for the whole family! Feel free to make a yummy dip to go with them as well.
Microwave Potato Chips
Potatoes of your choice (I used Yukon Gold)
Spray oil of your choice
1. Start by slicing the potatoes on a mandoline. Kids, please ask an adult to do this or help with it! Mandolines are very sharp.
2. Soak the potato slices in a bowl of cold water and rinse a few times until the water in the bowl is clear and no longer cloudy.
3. Lay the potato slices on a paper towel and pat dry with another paper towel.
4. Line a microwave-safe plate with two layers of paper towels. Place the slices on the paper towels and make sure none are touching each other. Spray both sides with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
5. Microwave at full power for 3 minutes. Flip the slices over and microwave at 60-percent power until crispy and golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
1. You might have to adjust the timing based on your microwave’s power.
2. I prefer a chip sliced at #2 on my mandoline, but feel free to experiment with thinner and thicker chips. Just remember to adjust cooking time accordingly.
3. Season the chips with whatever you’d like, for example TJ’s ketchup spice or a BBQ spice rub.