1. Heat the oil in a large, wide, heavy-bottomed oven-safe pot. Sear the meat on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
2. Add the onion and continue to cook together, until the onion turns translucent.
3. Place the vegetables around the meat and the garlic heads on top of the meat.
4. In a separate bowl, combine soup mix, paprika, pepper, bay leaves, and boiling water. Pour this mixture over the meat and vegetables in the pot. Shake the pot a little so everything gets coated in the sauce.
5. Cover the pot and place it in a hot oven. Lower the oven temperature to 140 degrees Celsius and cook for at least four hours.
Year-round, you can use any other root vegetable that is in season or even chickpeas, soaked and drained.