1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water with a pinch of sugar.
2. In a large mixing bowl, make a well with the flour. Add wheat germ. Add sugar, salt, oil, water, and two beaten eggs. When yeast mixture is activated, add it to the well. Knead until well combined.
3. Let dough rise, covered, for at least one hour. Punch it down and form loaves. (Remember to do hafrashat challah.)
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Let dough rise another 30 minutes.
6. Brush lightly with one beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
7. Bake for 35–45 minutes.