This soup has a velvety texture, delicious and richly seasoned. Can be served plain with croutons or with Parmesan cheese and croutons. The radicchio topping adds some gourmet pizzazz, but the soup is delicious even without it.
Prepare the Soup
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place squash, cut-side down, on a foil or Gefen Parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender. Scoop out pulp into a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat two teaspoons olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and parsley and sauté for 15 minutes or until lightly browned, adding drops of water so it does not stick.
3. Add squash, water, salt (start with the lower amount and taste before adding more), nutmeg, pepper, and garlic. Bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Puree with hand blender until smooth.
1. Heat one tablespoon olive oil in nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add radicchio, salt, and pepper. Sauté five minutes or until lightly browned.
2. Remove from heat and drizzle with vinegar, tossing to coat. Sprinkle radicchio over each serving of soup.