1. Cook broccoli in a large pot of boiling, salted water, just until crisp-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse.
2. Cook pasta until tender-ﬁrm (al dente), and drain well.
3. Heat oil in heavy, large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add pepper ﬂakes, if desired. Combine. Add broccoli; stir another 2 minutes.
4. Add pasta to skillet; toss well. Add lemon juice and cheese; mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer to serving dish. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and serve immediately.