Some sandwiches have just “got it.” And this one works (we call it “a beautiful sandwich”), whether you enjoy the original or the light version that’s just as good. This one is a complete meal. Watch how Victoria does it on Secrets of Skinny Cooking.
Yield: 4 sandwiches; 419 calories per sandwich with avocado or 369 with roasted zucchini
Prepare the Eggplant
1. Add eggplant to a colander and sprinkle generously with salt. Let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse and dry.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Add eggplant to a greased baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 20–30 minutes, until crispy and soft.
Prepare the Pesto
1. In a food processor, combine mayonnaise, basil, parsley, garlic and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
Prepare the Chicken
1. Coat chicken in oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a grill or grill pan and cook, about two minutes per side.
Assemble the Sandwich
1. Spread the wrap with pesto.
2. Add sliced avocado, eggplant, sun-dried tomatoes, and chicken.
3. Close sandwich and toast in a panini press.
Adapted from Holy Shnitzel’s Cali Love Panini featured in Everyday Secret Restaurant Recipes.