Chanukah is a time of light, joy and festivity. This dessert, entitled “Chanukah Joy” has many meaningful themes of Chanukah. Each element of this cake is from scratch, including the cake, buttercream, fondant, donuts, icing and chocolate décor.
This cake includes all of the special traditions of Chanukah: Menorah, Dreidel, Fried foods, 8 Nights and Joy!
– The cake has 8 layers for the 8 nights of Chanukah! This is a “surprise” element to add extra excitement! I added blue into the colors for that Chanukah feel!
– The cake is topped with donuts – everyone’s favorite Chanukah treat!
– I used buttercream to create 8 candles on the cake to remind us of the important message of the Menorah
– I used Menorah transfer paper to design chocolate shards, and dreidel molds for the chocolate dreidels
– I called this cake “Chanukah Joy” because Chanukah is always such a happy and festive time
Submitted by Rivkah Burston, Age 12
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease four deep, round cake pans.
In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk for 30 seconds. Set aside.
In another bowl, combine the sour cream, milk and vanilla. Beat the butter and add the sugar. Beat on medium speed for five minutes until fluffy.
Add eggs and mix. Add the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture, mix until combined and smooth.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
Whip butter for eight minutes and add in all the ingredients slowly until combined.
Place marshmallows and water in a large bowl and microwave on high for one minute. Stir the marshmallows with a spatula until they are melted and smooth.
Add the powdered sugar and stir until the sugar begins to incorporate and it becomes impossible to stir anymore.
Dust your hands with powdered sugar and knead the mixture like bread dough until it smooths out and loses its stickiness.
Mix yeast, water and sugar and let it rise for 10 minutes. Add in other ingredients, slowly kneading in flour and let rise 45 minutes. Cut into donut shapes and place on a tray and let rise another 45 minutes. Fry in oil.
Mix ingredients for the glaze together and use it to ice the donuts. Enjoy the Chanukah Joy Cake! Happy Chanukah!!