1. Combine flour, baking powder, half of the almonds, wheat germ, salt, and orange rind in a large bowl, and mix thoroughly.
2. Whisk eggs, sugar, almond extract, oil, and soy milk until well blended.
3. Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. (If mixture appears too dry or stiff, add a small amount of soy milk.)
4. Add cherries and blend together quickly.
5. Spoon into muffin tins.
6. Sprinkle remainder of almonds on top of muffins.
7. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius) for 22–25 minutes or until they just begin to brown on top.
Variations: To make these muffins low-fat, use 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons applesauce in place of the oil. Also, you can substitute whole wheat flour and a few spoons of ground flaxseed for part of the wheat germ.