The savory vegetable-tomato sauce mixed with rice is the perfect backdrop for this juicy chicken appetizer. I’ve offered two serving suggestions below, but feel free to plate it in any way you wish.
Prepare the Sauce
1. In a large pot, sauté onion in oil until translucent; add squash and sauté until softened.
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until squash is softened. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender, leaving small pieces.
3. Add cooked rice to the sauce and mix to combine. Set aside.
Prepare the Chicken
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix to coat chicken with sauce. Allow to marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Cook in one of two ways:
1) Grill in a grill pan: Spray grill pan with cooking spray and heat over high heat. Grill chicken pieces until cooked through and remove from pan. Thread chicken onto decorative skewers to plate.
2) Thread onto skewers and broil: Spray a broiler pan with cooking spray. Thread chicken strips onto skewers, weaving the skewer back and forth to form a curvy chicken finger. Place skewers in the broiler pan and broil on the bottom rack of your oven for eight minutes. Flip over and broil an additional six to seven minutes on the second side. Remove from oven.
1. Divide the saucy rice evenly among eight plates as a bed for the chicken skewers, placing the skewers on top, or arrange it in mini scoops on the plates and place the chicken skewers alongside.