1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
2. Place the sliced eggplant and garlic cloves into a Pyrex baking dish and pour in enough oil to just cover.
3. Place dish into the oven and bake for about half an hour, mixing once or twice (the edges of the eggplant should be turning crispy).
4. Remove from oven and pour through a sieve, discarding any extra oil.
5. Return eggplant and garlic cloves to the baking dish and add the remaining ingredients.
6. Mix well and cover.
7. Lower oven heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
8. Bake for 35 minutes and cool. Refrigerate.
9. Serve scooped in a martini glass with some garlic-toasted baguettes. Alternatively, serve in little bowls made of wontons, along with guacamole.
To make garlic-toasted baguettes, as shown in photo: Slice a long French baguette on the diagonal and lay out on a baking sheet. Place one cup olive oil, eight frozen garlic cubes, and one teaspoon basil in a bowl. Let the garlic melt. Mix together well and brush over each slice of bread. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for about eight minutes or until edges are crispy.