1. Season the beef with salt, pepper and one tablespoon of olive oil.
2. In a six-quart (or larger) pot, brown the meat.
3. Once the meat is browned, add two tablespoons of brown sugar and two tablespoons of flour. Toss and cook for about two minutes until the meat is coated.
4. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
5. Slice the leek in half circles, dice the onions, chop the celery into small chunks, finely chop the garlic and slice the carrots into quarter-inch circles.
6. Sauté all the vegetables. Once they are sautéed, add the tomato paste and the remaining tablespoon of brown sugar and toss to coat the veggies.
7. Next add the potatoes and beef broth. Add the meat back in.
8. Boil for half an hour and then simmer for one hour.