1. Cut the second and third slices from bottom part of apples one- fourth-inch thick. Reserve 30 medium slices.
2. Dice rest of apples and mix with crumbs, sugars, cinnamon, and nuts if using. Place into large roasting pan.
3. Dip slices of apples, one side only, into oil and crumbs. Arrange, crumb side up, on top of mixture, in even rows. Bake for one hour and forty-five minutes. Cool.
4. Cut around apple slices with glass and carefully remove portions to plates. Decorate with a cherry or grape in center of each apple slice.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.