1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
2. In a low, wide (five-liter) pot, heat three tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add onion and sauté five minutes, turning up heat for the last minute. Lower heat and add celery and garlic; sauté for three minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chestnuts and apples; sauté an additional three minutes. Add dried fruit and sauté an additional two minutes.
4. Add rice and remaining tablespoon of oil and sauté for two to three minutes, stirring every so often. Remove from heat; add salt and pepper and mix together.
5. Pour the veggie-rice mixture into a 9×13-inch (23×33-centimeter) oven to table dish (or a foil pan lined with parchment paper). Add four cups boiling water over all, mix gently, cover, and bake for 45 minutes. Let sit covered for a few minutes to steam before serving.