1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Line an eight-inch (20-centimeter) square baking pan with parchment paper.
2. To make the filling: In a small bowl, place dates, coffee, cinnamon, and vanilla. Pour boiling water over the mixture, making sure all the dates are submerged. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, mix all crust ingredients together in a bowl. Spread the resulting dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
4. Without draining the filling, use a spoon (or an immersion blender, but I prefer mundane utensils) to mash the date mixture until it’s nice and smooth. Don’t worry if there are a few chunks of dates in there.
5. Pour the filling over the crust, spreading evenly. Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips, gently pressing them into the mixture. Sprinkle the pan with sea salt.
6. Bake for 35–40 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and pomegranate arils.