Hearty Farro Vegetable Soup with Meatballs and Kale
Meat 6 Servings
3 Hours, 30 Minutes
- Egg - Gluten - Wheat
- No Refined Sugar
I love a good Italian wedding soup. This winter version has a few extra add-ins to make it even more amazing! Farro, kale, root vegetables, and meatballs… Who’s ready for a cozy dinner on the couch wrapped up in a big sweatshirt kinda night? After the kids are sleeping, of course.
Prepare the Meatballs
1. Combine ground beef with parsley, egg, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to form small (approximately two-inch) meatballs.
2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Once oil is hot, sear meatballs until browned on all sides. Set meatballs aside.
Prepare the Soup
1. Reduce heat to low. Add onions and one teaspoon salt and sweat over low heat until onions have released liquid, about 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Add carrots, celery, squash, tomatoes, potato, parsnip, turnip, green beans, and zucchini. Season with one teaspoon salt and sweat over low heat for another 40 minutes. Once vegetables have released liquid, fill the pot with water.
3. Add meatballs back in along with thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes.
4. Add farro; simmer for another 20 minutes. Add kale; simmer for another five minutes. Serve with crusty bread and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
This soup is a bit of work, but it’s different and delicious! A true meal in a bowl soup!