1. Four hours before making the soup, place the cashews into a bowl and add one cup of cold water. Let sit.
2. To make the soup, place the oil into a soup pot and heat over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and jalapeno and cook for six minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are clear. Add the tomatoes and cook for two minutes. Add the turmeric, salt and pepper and cook for one minute, stirring often.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes and then add ¼ cup of the water to the jar, shake and then add to the saucepan. Add the stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Drain the cashews and place into the bowl of a food processor. Add the remaining 3/4 cup water to the bowl and process until very creamy, for about two minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
5. When the soup is cooked, use an immersion blender to purée the soup for three whole minutes. Add the cashew cream, setting aside about one tablespoon in a bowl to use to garnish the bowls. Purée for another minute. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve garnished with a few dribbles of cashew cream in the soup bowl and add chopped cilantro if desired.