1. Fill a pot with water and bring to a rapid boil. Add string beans and boil for 10 minutes for crisp string beans or 15 minutes for softer string beans. Drain in a sieve and run cold water over the string beans. Let cool.
2. In a frying pan, heat oil. Add onion and mix. Spread onion out in the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, until caramelized.
3. Spread fruit and nuts in a baking sheet. Roast for eight to 12 minutes, stirring after a few minutes.
4. Sprinkle salt and pepper on cooked string beans and mix. Add the sautéed onions and mix.
5. Plate the string beans, adding dried fruit and nuts on top.