Pistachio Carrot Bread is a wholesome and healthful bread, layered with rich with natural flavors and sweetened with grated carrots, ripe bananas, honey, dates and plenty of chocolate!
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a nine by five inch loaf pan with Gefen Parchment Paper.
Pulse oats in a small personal blender until finely ground. Place in a large mixing bowl.
Next, grind 1/4 cup of pistachios in the blender just until finely ground (the consistency should be like the ground oats).
In a big bowl, whisk together ground oats, ground pistachios, flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together carrots, banana puree, oil, honey, milk, and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, extracts and optional zest to the wet ingredients.
Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry until moistened (do not over mix).
Fold in the chocolate chips and dates.
Pour batter into prepared pan and let the flavors marry for 10-15 minutes.
Bake for approximately 50-55 minutes, rotating the pan in the oven halfway through the baking time. Cover the loaf with parchment paper for the last 10 minutes.
In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip the softened cream cheese and softened butter together for three minutes. Add the extract, syrup, zest and salt.
Slowly add the powdered sugar until a frosting consistency form. Mix in chopped pistachios.
Frost the Pistachio Carrot Bread. Top with remaining whole pistachios.
• You may need to add additional sifted powdered sugar or more milk to the frosting as necessary to create a spreading consistency.
• Add 1/2 cup of chopped dried cherries or apricots for a tangy contrast.
• For vegans, substitute the eggs, milk and chocolate chips. Replacements include- Egg (substitute for two eggs)- two tablespoons of flax meal with six tablespoons of water; mix and let combine for five minutes. Milk- 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk. Chocolate chips-replace with vegan chocolate chips.
• To make a gluten-free bread, substitute the all-purpose flour for equal parts with a one to one flour product.
• The Pistachio Carrot Bread freezes well. Slice the bread into one-inch individual pieces, wrap it in the foil and seal in a freezer-proof bag. You can defrost it overnight in the refrigerator.