1. Peel potatoes and set aside in cold water until needed. Peel onions.
2. Shred potatoes, alternating with the onions. The juice in the onions will help keep the potatoes from turning brown.
3. When done, place potato-onion mixture in the center of a clean dish towel set over a bowl. You may be able to do this in one batch; divide into two if necessary.
4. Fold outer edges of the towel lengthwise over the potatoes and twist the ends as tightly as you can over the sink or bowl, squeezing out as much liquid as possible.
5. Return potatoes to bowl and add eggs, salt and pepper.