1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Season roast generously with salt and pepper.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet, then add garlic and thyme.
4. Sear the roast, bone side up, for four to six minutes, pressing down to get an even sear.
5. Transfer roast, garlic, and thyme to a roasting pan. Add soy sauce and two cups of water, then cover tightly with foil and cook in the oven for three hours.
6. To serve, slice the roast off the bones and then into half-inch slices. Transfer to a large platter and top with gremolata.