1. Remove the roast from the refrigerator two to three hours in advance to bring to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Generously season roast with salt. Wearing gloves, spread margarine or Earth Balance all over the roast (not the bones). Season with a very generous amount of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper (or your favorite store-bought spice rub).
4. Set the roast, rib-side down, in a shallow roasting pan (the ribs act as a natural rack). Roast for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, or until a nice crust has developed. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and continue to roast, basting every 15 to 20 minutes, until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 130 to 135 degrees Fahrenheit (for medium-rare) on an instant-read thermometer. (Check the internal temperature after one hour by inserting the thermometer into the center of the roast and assess how much more time is needed.) If you do not have a thermometer, you can approximate by calculating 15 minutes per pound (60 minutes for a four-pound roast, 75 minutes for a five-pound roast).
5. Transfer roast to a cutting board and let rest for 20 minutes before carving. Slice into thick steaks or cut the entire roast off the bone and slice thinly.