Sticky chicken has become a new favorite in my house. So the potatoes cook in the same amount of time as the chicken, I make sure to use the baby red potatoes. I also microwave them first for 10 minutes on high. Because these baby red potatoes are small, they come out perfectly ready to lay on your baking sheet and then smash with the palm of your hand. For myself, I usually throw the potatoes with the chicken on top of some spinach greens so I have a well-rounded meal. I also just love the combo of the cold spinach leaves with the hot, savory zaatar potatoes and sweet ‘n spicy chicken.
Prepare the Sticky Chicken with Smashed Zaatar Potatoes
1. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. For the chicken: Pat the chicken dry and add it to a bowl with the sliced onions. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything well, making sure the chicken and onions are very well coated.
3. Dump the coated chicken on to one side of the baking sheet and spread out a bit so they lay flat.
4. For the potatoes: Poke a few holes into the potatoes with a fork. Place on a microwave-safe plate or bowl and microwave for 10 minutes till fork tender.
5. Place each potato onto the baking sheet and, using the heel of your hand, smash down till flat-ish. Drizzle generously with olive oil and then season well with zaatar spice.
6. Bake everything in the oven for about 55-60 minutes till chicken is fully cooked and the potatoes are slightly crispy on the outside. Serve immediately.