1. Combine ingredients for meatballs and set aside.
2. In six-quart pot, sauté onion in oil until transparent. Add grated parsnip and stir for one minute. Add boiling water, stirring constantly.
3. Form the meat mixture into small balls and drop into the boiling sauce.
4. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes over low heat.
5. Add sugar, vinegar and lemon juice, cook an additional 25 minutes. Add raisins five minutes before the end of the cook time.
6. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water, stirring until smooth. Pour in a thin stream into the pot, stirring vigorously for five minutes.
7. Can be refrigerated for several days in tightly covered jars.