A delicious alternative to a fish appetizer, this “tartare” is not what it seems. Broiled peppers for the fish-like texture and an asparagus spread so you can prep in advance and have your shmear stay green for serving time!
For the Rice
1. Once rice is cooked, add sugar, salt, and rice wine vinegar. Mix and set aside.
For the Asparagus Spread
1. Place asparagus in a shallow pan filled with one inch of water. Add kosher salt and cover pan. Turn heat to high and boil asparagus for about 10 minutes, until soft. Allow to cool.
2. Place asparagus in a food process fitted with a steel blade. Add garlic powder, dill, cumin, sugar, pepper, and cayenne. Process until smooth.
For the Peppers
1. Preheat oven broiler. Cut peppers in half. Place skin side up on a baking sheet. Broil peppers for about 8-10 minutes, until skin is blistered. Remove and allow to cool completely.
2. Once cooled, peel back the skins off the peppers and discard. Dice peppers and set aside.
1. With a circle mold or cookie cutter, place about half a cup of rice in the center of each plate. Spread about two to three tablespoons of asparagus spread on top of rice.
2. Take a mixture of a quarter-cup each red, orange, and yellow diced peppers and arrange on top. Then about one to two tablespoons of cucumbers. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.