1. Sift the flours into a large bowl.
2. Mix in the onion, spinach, chilies, masala, salt, turmeric, coriander and cumin.
3. Add enough water to make a thick batter (it mustn’t be runny).
4. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan until fairly hot. Stir the baking powder into the batter just before frying.
5. Using a tablespoon, drop the batter into the oil and fry slowly until golden-brown. (Ensure that the oil doesn’t get too hot; otherwise the chili bites will burn on the outside and remain raw in the middle.) Test by piercing with a toothpick. If it comes out dry, the chili bites are ready.
6. Remove from heat and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Serve warm.