1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
2. Place eggs and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until well-combined.
3. Add oil, maple syrup, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla, baking powder and soda, carrots, applesauce, and zest, mixing until well-incorporated.
4. Add quinoa and flour, and pulse until just combined. Gently stir in the roasted pecans.
5. Spoon into lined muffin pans and bake for about 40–45 minutes. Tap lightly in the center of the muffin — it should feel firm and lightly springy to the touch. If the batter sticks to your finger or doesn’t produce a bit of resistance, it’s not done.
6. Allow to cool. Freezes well.