1. Using a fine grating disc in a food processor, grate the potatoes.
2. Remove half the grated potatoes and place in a large strainer set over a large bowl. Press out as much liquid as possible, allowing it to collect in the bowl. Set aside strained potatoes and liquid.
3. Next, fit the food processor with the S blade. Process onion chunks and remaining grated potatoes until smooth. Add potato/onion mixture to the strainer set over the bowl of liquid and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible.
4. Let the liquid stand for five minutes. Starch will settle to the bottom of the bowl. Pour off the liquid and leave behind the starch.
5. Add the potatoes and onions, egg, and spices, and mix by hand to combine.
6. In a large frying pan over high heat, heat 1/4 cup of avocado oil. Form medium-size balls of batter and drop into the hot oil. About four latkes should fit in one pan.
7. Reduce heat to low. Brown latkes completely on one side, flip, and brown on the second side. Remove from pan.
8. Add one tablespoon avocado oil to pan and repeat with remaining batter.