1. In a saucepan, sauté onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat till golden, around 30 minutes.
2. Add more oil if necessary to prevent onions from burning.
3. Add wine and deglaze onions very well.
4. Add remaining ingredients (except the salt) and simmer another three to five minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
6. Arrange chicken pieces in a baking pan and season with salt.
7. Pour sauce over chicken.
8. Bake for 1 hour covered and an additional hour uncovered.