1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a baking sheet.
2. Brush baguette slices with olive oil on both sides. Lay them on prepared baking sheet and bake for 12 to 18 minutes, until golden.
3. Heat one-fourth cup olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add shallots and sauté until they begin to caramelize. Add mushrooms and one teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
4. Add the garlic and herbs, stir for a minute, then add wine. Cook until the alcohol cooks out. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Spoon some of the mushroom-shallot mixture onto each crostini. Crumble some goat cheese on top.
6. Preheat oven to broil. Broil crostini for about one minute or until the goat cheese melts a bit. Garnish with a few ribbons of fresh basil.