1. Combine the wine, cinnamon, allspice, clove, star anise, and fresh ground nutmeg in a pot and add the sugar.
2. Peel pears and place them in the poaching liquid, making sure they stay below the liquid by covering them first with a lid smaller than the pot and then covering the pot.
3. Bring to a boil and then lower flame and let simmer for 20-35 minutes.
4. Let pears cool in liquid and remove from the poaching liquid.
5. Return poaching liquid to a low flame and allow to reduce until consistency is syrupy.