1. Put all the dough ingredients in a bowl.
2. Knead well. You may need to add up to one cup of additional flour to get a smooth, non-sticky dough. Cover and rise for three to five hours (in a warm area, or overnight in the fridge).
3. Shape and cover to rise for another 30–60 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. In a cup beat the egg and water. Brush over the challah and sprinkle with your choice of toppings. (I use everything spice from Trader Joe’s). Bake for 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.