1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Rub in the butter with your fingers, coating the dry mixture, until crumbs form. You can also do this in a food processor, by adding all ingredients in the bowl of the food processor fitted with the “S” blade, and pulsing until pea-sized crumbs form.
2. Add the pomegranate powder and toss.
3. Place the crumb mixture in the freezer for half an hour (this prevents over-browning).
4. Prepare your favorite challah recipe. Brush an egg wash on the challah which has already been shaped and has risen.
5. Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds on the challah and then top with the frozen crumbs.
6. Bake normally in a 350-degree-Fahrenheit preheated oven (about 25 minutes for a medium challah).