The honest-to-goodness truth is that I’m not an obedient salad-recipe follower. But I often regret it, because a little of this and a little of that sometimes works, and sometimes lacks. Here’s an instance where these ingredients together usually work, even if you cheat a little and just eyeball the recipe.
Roast the Mushrooms
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
2. Lay out the chickpeas and mushrooms on two sides of a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 20–25 minutes.
3. Remove from oven. Immediately transfer the chickpeas to a bowl and toss with spices while still hot. Allow to cool.
Prepare the Dressing
1. Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
Assemble the Salad
1. To assemble the salad, arrange arugula and cherry tomatoes in a bowl.
2. Add roasted mushrooms and roasted, seasoned chickpeas and toss.
3. Top with crumbled feta cheese and drizzle with dressing.
Food and Prop Styling by Goldie Stern Photography by Moshe Wulliger