1. In a large pot over a medium flame, heat one teaspoon oil. Add onion and sauté until soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for one minute. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft. Move mushroom mixture to one side of the pot.
2. Add one tablespoon oil and short ribs to the hot pan. Brown short ribs for approximately three minutes per side.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, wine, water, salt, thyme, oregano, and black pepper. The short ribs should be almost covered; if they are not, add some more water.
4. Bring to a boil, cover, and lower flame. Simmer for two and a half to three hours, until soft.
5. Remove ribs from pot and shred. Place back in the sauce and simmer for five more minutes.
6. Serve over egg noodles.