1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
2. Beat the whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, but not dry, and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the yolks with the sugar for about 5–10 minutes, until thick. Add the lemon juice and vanilla.
4. Gently sift the starch into the yolk mixture and continue mixing just until incorporated. Fold the whites in by hand.
5. Pour the batter into an ungreased tube pan and bake for 45–60 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, turn the pan upside down to cool.
6. When the cake is cool, slide a knife around the inside of the pan and remove the cake.
7. Top it with your favorite chocolate glaze, if desired, and roasted slivered almonds.
Cinnamon-Sugar Variation Pour half of the batter in the pan. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar and top this with the rest of the batter. Sprinkle more cinnamon and sugar on the top. Top with ground nuts, if desired. Bake the cake as above.