Sponsored by Ungar’s
In many Ashkenazi households, gefilte fish is to Shabbat like oxygen is to breathing. Whether you like it or not (and many people absolutely love it), it’s tradition, and we don’t mess. That being said, introducing new technique and flavors to the classic fish roll will not only elevate your meal, but will shine a new light on our humble first course. Try any of the recipes below. You will never look at gefilte the same again.
1. Honey-Garlic Gefilte Fish by Rivky Kleiman
For gefilte fish with a flavorful twist, try this easy, fabulous recipe. I guarantee it will become a regular at your Shabbos and Yom Tov table!
2. My Sister-in-Law’s Oven Gefilte Fish by Malky Brezel
3. Soy Glazed Gefilte Fish by My Kosher Recipe Contest, Submitted by Yaffa Maynard
My mother’s best friend, my Tante Mira, was one of the best home cooks I knew. She hailed from Morocco and had the most unique, delicious food every Shabbat. This recipe is a variation on her Moroccan gefilte fish I remember from my childhood so fondly.
4. Sweet Veggie Topped Gefilte Fish Rounds by Vera Newman
Looking for a beautiful, festive and delicious way to serve gefilte fish and impress your guests all at the same time? Look no further! The sweetness of the veggies complements the gefilte fish very nicely, making this a really memorable first course.
5. Gefilte Fish Fried Wontons by Ruthy Bodner
These wontons were a big hit and the talk of the table! Couldn’t have been easier with defrosted Ungar’s Gefilte Fish and readily available dumpling wrappers. These would be great anytime, but dare I say, Shabbos Chanukah anyone?
6. Sushi Gefilte Fish by Esther Deutsch
You will love this fresh take on the traditional Shabbat dinner appetizer. Gefilte fish meets everyone’s favorite fish rolls!
7. Crispy Fried Gefilte Fish by Tamar Teitelbaum
If you are looking for a unique appetizer this Shabbat, try this delicious Crispy Fried Gefilte Fish. This recipe can even impress guests who don’t like gefilte fish!
8. Moroccan Gefilte Fish by Yussi Weisz
This is not your Bubbe’s gefilte fish. Boil your gefilte loaf in a hot and hearty tomato sauce that will magically transform this Shabbos classic into a gourmet masterpiece! There’s no going back. Watch how Yussi pulls it all together.
9. Sweet Gefilte Fish with Caramelized Tomatoes, Mushrooms, and Onions by Esther Deutsch
10. Hot Gefilte Fish Bites by Mirel Freylich
Tasty and kid friendly—and a nice change for the adults too!
11. Fish Rolls in Flaky Dough Appetizer from the Nitra Cookbook
12. Eggplant and Fish Layers from the Nitra Cookbook