37+ Back to School Lunch Ideas for Every Type of Kid
It's finally time to trade sunscreen for school supplies, but finding a great new lunchbox is only half the battle. Filling them is a whole other story. Every kid is different, but we've put our brains together to come up with solutions for every kind of eater. Whether your kid is picky or foodie, there's something in here for them!
The Tiny Gourmand—You know the type: They eat avocado toast for breakfast. They can pronounce ‘acai’. They only turn their nose up at broccoli when it’s been steamed with no seasoning, and they’d have an Instagram account if you gave them enough access to your food.
- Margherita Pizza on Focaccia by Sina Mizrahi
- Caprese Toast by Chayie Schlisselfeld
Panini Wraps by Elky Friedman
- Avocado Toast by Chayie Schlisselfeld
- Cajun Turkey or Teriyaki Turkey Noodle Lettuce Wraps by Chayie Schlisselfeld
Tuna Rolls by Esther Ottensoser
The Picky Eater—We’ve all met this kid. They usually only like one or two things at a time, and while you could justify giving them the same meal every day, you’d feel better if there were a few more options in the repertoire.
- Edible Checkerboard by Esther Ottensoser
- Red Light, Green Light, 1-2-3 by Esther Ottensoser
- Pizza-Pasta "Muffins" by Temi Philip
- Perfect Protein-Packed Pancakes by Rivkah Krinsky
- Faked Ziti by Esty Wolbe
- Broccoli Cheese Bites by Elky Friedman
- Zucchini Fritters from OU Kosher
- Homemade Fish Sticks by Sina Mizrahi
- Egg White Cauliflower Bites by Riva Fogel-Landy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad on Rosemary Skewer by Esther Deutsch
- My Favorite Whole Wheat Muffins by Elky Friedman
- Applesauce Muffins from the Dining In cookbook
- Granola Biscotti by Deb Perelman
- Wholesome Dairy Muffins by Estee Kafra
- Breakfast Muffins by Sari Matyas
- No-Mixer Granola Bars by Chanie Nayman
- Simplified Corn Dogs by Faigy Grossman
- Chicken Pretzel Nuggets by Brynie Greisman
- Golden Shnitzel Bites by Brynie Greisman
- Pita Chicken Pockets from the Nitra cookbook
- Sloppy Joe Pita Sandwiches from the Nitra cookbook
- Meatball Sliders by Rivky Kleiman
- Mini Chicken Dogs by Chavi Feldman
The Food Allergy Prone—Sure, you’ve gotten used to explaining to people that it’s not just that food, it’s also the foods that have that food in them. But sometimes it’s just exhausting trying to think of how to hack this recipe, or replace half of those ingredients. Take a breath. We got you.
- Allergy-Friendly French Toast by Chevy Slomovics and Raizy Janklowitz
- Vegan Mac and Cheeze by Rebecca Kinzbrunner
- Tuna Tacos by Chayie Schlisselfeld
- Gluten Free Vanilla "Cheese" Pancakes by Chevy Slomovics and Raizy Janklowitz
- Israeli-Style Toast by Chayie Schlisselfeld
The Cheese Fiend—This kid thinks a cheese stick and sliced cheese are two different snacks. But you sometimes get tired of just slapping some American on two slices of bread. Just because your kid has singular tastes, doesn’t mean you can’t make it interesting.
Updated May 2019